1. SAFETY EQUIPMENT: Rules apply at all times car
is on track. Snell-rated SA95 or SA2000 helmet required. Roll bar padding
required in driver compartment (Fire retardant recommended). SFI-approved full
fire suit, fire retardant neck brace, gloves and shoes required. Fire
extinguisher or fire system must be installed. Recommended: Fire retardant head
sock and underwear; head and neck restraints; collapsible steering shaft.
Driver-side window net required, minimum 16"x20" ribbon or mesh style,
and must be mounted so latch is at top front of window. Minimum three-inch wide
five-point safety belt assembly required, must be mounted securely to roll cage,
recommended to be no more than one-year-old. Kill switch required within easy
reach of driver and must be clearly marked ‘OFF’ and ‘ON’.
2. FRAME: Any American OEM full body rear wheel drive passenger car must be full frame bumper to bumper or unibody. Minimum 108-inch wheelbase unless running unibody and then must be at least 110” wheelbase. Frame must match body — GM to GM, Ford to Ford, Chrysler to Chrysler — AND wheelbase to wheelbase. Rear of frame behind rear tires, from a point no further forward than one inch behind factory seam, may be replaced in OEM location with two-inch by three-inch steel tubing with .095-inch wall thickness. Factory seam must remain visible.
3.ROLL CAGE: Main cage must consist of continuous hoops, minimum 1.50-inch O.D. tubing, with a minimum wall thickness of .095-inch, low carbon or mild steel recommended. Four-post roll cage required, front down bars and rear hoop must be welded to OEM frame. Driver’s head must not protrude outside cage with helmet on. No offset cages. Rear hoop must have “X” brace, consisting of one full horizontal and one full diagonal bar, minimum 1.25-inch O.D. and .083-inch wall thickness. Front down bars must be tied together, passenger side front down bars must be maximum 11 inches in from top of door. Must be minimum 40 inches between front and rear down bars at top of door panel. Maximum 41 inches (48 inches for 1988-1996 GM bodies) from top center of windshield to front edge of rear hoop; maximum 13 inches (20 inches for 1988-1996 GM bodies) to front edge of top halo. Top halo must be minimum 40 inches across, outside to outside. Rear hoop may be maximum 12 inches in from bottom of opera window. Minimum one cross bar in top halo. May have maximum two horizontal bars, (in addition to bar tying front frame horns together) for radiator protection; must be behind bumper, within confines of body, no wider than stock frame horns. Required rear kickers (down bars) and engine hoop must be minimum 1.25-inch tubing, with .083-inch wall thickness. Fuel cell protection required, must be mounted frame rail to frame rail, no higher than fuel cell, inside trunk area with maximum 1.75-inch tubing. All bars must be inside body. Foot protection bar required.
4. DOOR BARS: All door bars and uprights must be minimum 1.50-inch O.D. and .095-inch wall thickness. Minimum three door bars, both sides, parallel to ground, and perpendicular to driver. Minimum four uprights tied from frame to top door bar on driver side, and minimum three uprights on passenger side. Steel doorplates, 18 gauge or .049-inch minimum thickness, must be securely welded to outside of door bars on driver’s side. Plate must cover area from top door bar to frame and from rear down post to five inches in front of seat. Must be visible for inspection.
5. BODY: Must be approved, unaltered OEM, and centered over wheel wells. Floor pan, fire wall and trunk pan must remain OEM for that frame in OEM location from front bumper to rear firewall. May use 1988-1996 Cutlass, Grand Prix, Lumina, Regal or Monte Carlo body on 1978-1987 GM 108-inch wheelbase full frame. Sunroofs and T-tops must be enclosed. OEM or aftermarket plastic nose and tail pieces allowed, must match body on 1988 and newer. Spoiler allowed, max six inches in material height, no wider than the body and no side or center bracing allowed. Hood and front fenders may be gutted, must remain original size. Rear of hood must be sealed off from driver compartment with metal. Hood must be separate from fenders and in OEM location. Front and rear inner wheel wells may be removed. Trunk lid cannot be gutted and must remain original size. No overlapping or shortening of body panels. All windows must remain open, except opera windows may be covered with clear lexan, no decals. Maximum seven-inch metal sun visor may be added to top of windshield opening. Wheel wells may be slightly trimmed for tire clearance. No reflective body panels. Cars must be numbered with large legible numbers on both sides and top. Numbers should be in contrasting colors.
6. DRIVER COMPARTMENT: Minimum of three windshield bars in front of driver. Aluminum high-back seat only, bolted to roll cage. Seat may be no further back than rear edge of B-pillar on Ford and 1987 and older GM bodies. Seat must be mounted in front of the original front door post. Driver must be sealed off from track, driveline, engine and fuel cell. Dash not to extend more than 24 inches back from center of lower windshield opening. Dash must be flat, rear can be no higher than front, except for cowl in front of driver. No other interior tin or covers. Inside rear quarter panels, below window level, may be removed. Doors may be gutted, roof may be trimmed for roll cage clearance. Kick and rocker panels may be removed. No cutting on floor pan, any holes must be covered from underside with metal. Rear firewall and speaker deck must be metal and be of OEM design for that body. Front firewall from factory seam up may be replaced with minimum .049-inch thickness steel. All holes in firewalls must be covered with metal. May enclose interior or right side of car but must have trap door for inspection.
7. FRONT SUSPENSION: All components and mounts must be steel, unaltered OEM, in OEM location and match frame. Rubber, nylon or steel lower A-frame bushings only, no offset or bearing type. Weight jacks optional, must be in original centerline of spring tower. No devices allowed enabling driver to alter wheelbase or weight jacking while racing. For 1978-1987 G.M. mid-sized metric frame, OEM upper A-frame . Single hole shock mounts only.
8. STEERING: All components must be steel, unaltered OEM, in OEM location and match frame. Bolt on spindle savers allowed. OEM steering column may be replaced with steel steering shafts (collapsible recommended). Steel knuckles only. Steering quickener, steering wheel and quick release may be aluminum.
9. SHOCKS: One steel non-adjustable unaltered shock per wheel. No coil over, air, or remote reservoir shocks, or Schrader valves. No coil over eliminators.
10. SPRINGS: One steel spring per wheel only. All coil springs must be minimum 4.5-inches O.D. and non-progressive.
11. REAR SUSPENSION: All components and mounts must be steel, unaltered OEM, in OEM location, and match frame. Rubber or nylon control arm bushings only, no offset or bearing type. Welded single-hole shock mounts only. Coil springs may be moved, but 50% must be located over top of rear end housing. No independent rear suspension. Shocks may be moved, but must remain behind housing. No weight jacks in rear of car.
12.REAR END: Any steel approved OEM passenger car or truck non-cambered rear end allowed. Safety hubs (floater) allowed. No pan hard bars. All components must be steel, except: lowering blocks, axle cap, and drive flange may be aluminum. Inspection hole in housing required. Full steel spool, steel mini spool or welded rearends only. Steel axles only. No quick change devices. One piece drive flange only. No torque-dividing differentials. No scalloped ring gears. No traction devices of any kind, torque arms, etc. Sway bars must be O.E.M. and in O.E.M. location.
13. BUMPERS: Front and rear tow hooks mandatory. Steel bumper mounts only. One of two options must be used:
OEM: Bumpers not covered by plastic nose or tail piece must be complete, unaltered OEM with no sharp edges. Must have steel connecting ends to body. No bars past outside edge of body other than rub rails.
Aftermarket: Fabricated tubular bumpers allowed, but must be covered by plastic nose or tail piece and bent to fit with rounded ends. Main bumper bar must be minimum 1.5-inch OD by .083-inch wall thickness on front, and 1.50-inch OD by .120-inch wall thickness on rear.
14. TIRES/WHEELS: Must use unaltered American Racer tire, G-60 (KK704) with I.M.C.A. stamped on sidewall or Hoosier asphalt take off (10.0/27.0-15 SERIES OR 1053, 1060) New Hoosier tire a possibility (watch for rule updates in future). Numbers must be visible for inspection. All tires must pass a derometer test to a minimum of 55 hardness. Grooving of tires is allowed. No re-caps. All wheels must be steel racing wheels and have no bead locks except for the right rear, and wheel cannot be any narrower than 8 inches and no wider than 10 inches. No wide fives. Steel bolts only. One foam or plastic mud cap allowed on right rear only. No bleeder valves.
15. BRAKES: Steel, unaltered OEM, or unaltered OEM replacement, operative four wheel, drum or disc. Front components must match frame. Must maintain minimum OEM dimensions for hubs/rotors and calipers, cannot be lightened. Bolt pattern may be changed. Larger studs allowed. Rear rotors may be aftermarket, minimum 0.810-inch thickness. Vented rotors only, no scalloped rotors. No floating brakes. No brake shut-off or pressure sensitive devices. One proportioning device allowed, front to rear only. Brake lines must be visible. Aftermarket pedal assembly allowed.
16. EXHAUST: Round tube headers only. No exhaust through body panels or fenders. All mufflers must be 100 d.b. at 100 feet or less. All exhaust must go through muffler, two per car, one per header. No exhaust sensors.
17. FUEL SYSTEM: Any four barrel carburetor, dual line is OK. Mechanical push rod fuel pumps only. Maximum 33 gallon racing fuel cell required, must be in 18-gauge steel container. Must be securely fastened in trunk above level of top of rear frame rails, by minimum two .125-inch thick solid steel straps, two inches wide around entire cell. Metal firewall must be between driver and fuel cell. All cell mounts must be steel, securely welded to frame/cage. No adjustable fuel cell mounts. Fuel cell vents, including cap vent, must have check valves. Fuel lines through driver compartment must run through metal pipe or metal conduit. No fuel filters in driver’s compartment. Limit of one fuel filter. No cool cans. Air cleaner top cannot direct air into carburetor. No top flow air cleaner housings, cold air boxes or air cleaner duct work.
18. FUEL: Gasoline only, no ethanol. No performance enhancing additives or scented additives. Fuel must pass both dielectric meter and chemical tests. Fuel sample may be taken from any car at any time. Penalty for illegal fuel is disqualification from event and $250 fine - first offense.
19. WEIGHT: Minimum weight limit of 3,100 pounds, after race with driver in car. No tolerance. No weights and/or loose objects in driver compartment or outside body and must not be visible. Weights must be securely mounted to frame or roll cage and painted white with car number on it. Must be attached with at least two .5-inch bolts. No titanium, magnesium or carbon fiber products. No gun-drilled, tubular, hollow bolts or studs. Steel fasteners only.
20. BATTERY/STARTER: One 12-volt battery only, must be in marine-type case securely mounted to frame or roll cage in metal frame. Starter must bolt in OEM location. Must have capability of starting without being pushed or pulled. Must leave initial staging area on demand, unaided, or go to rear of that race.
21. GAUGES /ELECTRONICS: MSD Ignition is allowed for the 2006 season. No transmitting or listening devices, timing retard controls, or digital gauges (including tach). No electronic monitoring computer devices capable of storing or transmitting information except analog tach. No adjustable ignition control boxes. Only one 12-volt ignition box allowed, must be out of driver’s reach. No additional ignition accessories. Only change allowed to ignition box is one high-end rev-limiter. Setting can be changed through one chip only, or an internal setting inside box. No alternators or magnetos. OEM firing order cannot be changed. No electronic traction control devices.
22. TRANSMISSION/DRIVE SHAFT: Must have at least two forward gears and one reverse, plus neutral position. With motor running and car in still position, must be able to engage car in gear and move forward, then backward. Only OEM production type transmissions allowed - two-speed, three-speed, four-speed and automatic. No five speed (or more) transmissions, ‘in and out’ boxes, or quick change devices allowed. Functioning shift levers must be in OEM location. Flywheel/flexplate must be bolted directly to end of crankshaft, and pressure plate must be bolted directly to flywheel/flexplate. One flywheel/flexplate only, and all driveline components within bellhousing must rotate consistent with engine RPM while car is in any gear. Unaltered flexplate must be full, OEM, or OEM replacement.
Manual: Must be OEM case and working clutch inside explosion-proof steel bellhousing - minimum 270 degrees around top of clutch/flywheel area.
Automatic: Must remain in OEM appearing automatic case with a functioning OEM appearing pump. Original OEM bellhousing must have an approved scatter shield, constructed of minimum of .125-inch by three-inch steel, 270 degrees around flexplate.
Drive Shaft: Minimum 2-inch diameter steel drive shaft, must be painted white with car number clearly added. Steel slip-yokes only. 360-degree drive shaft loop required and must be constructed of at least .25-inch by two-inch steel, or one-inch tubing, mounted six inches back from front U-joint.
23. ENGINE COMPARTMENT: Number 1 spark plug must be even or in front of upper ball joint. Frames and crossmembers may not be altered for engine placement. Engine mount holes cannot be removed or altered on engine block. Aftermarket engine mounts allowed. Engine must be OEM appearing, must be able to be used in conventional passenger car without alteration. GM with GM, Ford with Ford, Chrysler with Chrysler. Cooling systems may be modified. Steel or aluminum radiator, and must be mounted in front of engine. Overflow tubes must be directed to ground, between frame rails. Accumulators and Accusumps allowed, but cannot be mounted on door bars.
24. ENGINE SPECIFICATIONS: Steel heads, block and oil pan only. OEM block only, except no GM Bowtie, Ford SVO or Chrysler W-2 blocks. Castings and fittings can not be changed, no machine work on outside of engine. No cubic inch limit. May use roller tip rocker arms. OEM cast iron intake or dual plain aluminum intake may be ported/polished. May use adapter with two maximum .100-inch gaskets on intake. No high rise intakes. Oil pump must be in stock location and O.E.M.. Aluminum water pumps allowed.